“The Legal Cannabis Business, Covering Your Butt”
In today’s ThinkJointly Legal Cannabis episode, we explore business, legal and compliance issues surrounding the legal cannabis industry, particularly as it impacts Nevada. Today’s podcast features attorney and legal expert, Derek Connor.
Meet Derek Connor
Today’s episode features Derek Connor. Derek is a veteran of the United States Navy from 2000-2004 aboard amphibious landing ship, USS Comstock. While serving in the Navy, Derek was deployed in support of Operation Enduring Freedom from 2001-2002 and Operation Iraqi Freedom from 2003-2004.
Derek founded the law firm of Connor & Connor Pllc. with his wife, Amanda, in 2012. Derek’s practice has focused largely on civil litigation, business planning and providing legal advice to clients regarding Nevada’s complex marijuana laws.
Since founding his law firm Derek has appeared in numerous news outlets, trade magazines, and local publications including National Public Radio, Fox 5 News, 8 News Now, and Vegas Cannabis Magazine among others.
Main Discussion Points
- Personal background with cannabis
- “Women and Weed”
- Nevada and medical marijuana bill
- Vets and PTSD
- Baby Boomer use of marijuana
- Nevada cannabis business challenges
- How to vet an attorney for cannabis business & questions to ask them
- Best practices to maintain compliance
- Cole Memo
- Medical marijuana dispensary security: armed vs unarmed
- Liability insurance and workers comp
- Closing: how to contact Derek and last words of advice for a Nevada dispensary or cultivator business